Paleolithic diet or better known as Paleo diet is also known as caveman’s diet based on its origin as a diet of ancient world-the stone age where hunters and food gatherers resided in caves and ate the most indigenously available foods from wild animals and plants. This diet mainly constitutes of fish, eggs, vegetable, grass-fed pasture raised meats, fruit, fungi, roots and nuts and surprisingly excludes what we consider as agro products like dairy products, legumes, potatoes, refined sugar and processed oils. Thus we see the paleo diet includes foods which are an aberration of the foods people normally have and cannot avoid in day to day life. This is the reason why that paleo diet has been a controversial subject of discussion
amongst food technicians and dietitians.

paleo diet

The nature of Paleo diet gives an indirect reference to people of pre historic era who believed in having food that is readily available either by hunting or gathering. Examples of hunted food include fish, other sea foods and meat. Meat here is preferred to be one which is free of food additives. Gathered foods are mushrooms, eggs, fruits, insects, herbs, nuts, spices, seeds and vegetables. Paleo diet allows drink of water though tea is also considered to be a healthy drink. Contrary to the common notion of eating cooked food paleo dieters believe in food which is both raw as well as paleolithic diet. Since they origin dates back centuries ago, they believe that human stomach wasn’t accustomed to cooked food until the invention of food.

Ratio of animal to food diet in paleo diet is also very interesting. They recommend a 70% intake of animal food while the remaining 30% intake of plant food. Paleo diet includes foods which are rich in proteins but low in carbohydrates. The intake of fat in their diet is similar as in the diet of the present day western countries. However we see that owing to lesser intake of plant foods there may be calcium deficit so calcium supplements may be included in the diet.

More than 75 percent of energy in the diet of American foods comes from legumes, cereals, eggs etc all of which is a taboo in a paleo diet as they claim that none of the energy comes from these foods on the contrary they believe that this type of food are the major cause of fatal disease like cancer, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis.

Paleo diet not only gives importance to food but gives equal importance to physical activity. They believe that human body was designed for much more physical work than they normally do. This sedentary lifestyle today is the reason why lot of people suffer from excess fat and lean muscles, a thing which was not found in our ancestors. It alludes to the fact that modern day lifestyle is also a major cause of growing diseases and food intake is alone not to be blamed.

paleo breakfast recipes

Advertisements